The Rev. Canon William J. Isaac was born in March 1949 in Pontypridd and was brought up all his life in Cardiff.
He went to St. David’s College, Lampeter to do Theology and Biblical Studies and a Diploma in Pastoral Theology, and went for further studies to Salisbury and Wells Theological College to do a Pastoral Diploma at Southampton University.
Canon Isaac studied for the Priesthood at the Pontifical Beda College in Rome and served in the parish of Sacred Heart, Morriston. He was appointed Chaplain at Cardinal Newman Catholic Comprehensive School, Pontypridd and assisted at Our Lady of Lourdes, Mountain Ash, subsequently being appointed Parish Priest of St. Thomas’s, Abercynon.
In 1995, Canon Isaac was appointed as Parish Priest of St. Mary’s, Bridgend. During his time there, he served as Dean of the Bridgend Deanery and as Governor of St. Mary’s Catholic Primary School and Chairman of Governors of Archbishop McGrath Catholic Comprehensive School.
Canon Isaac presided over the closure and demolition of the old St. Mary’s Church in Bridgend and the design, building and opening of a new church, presbytery and parish complex.
Canon Isaac was appointed as Parish Priest of St. Teilo’s with Our Lady of Lourdes in February 2014, returning ‘home’ to the area he grew up in.
In December 2015 the Archbishop of Cardiff, the Most Rev. George Stack, appointed Canon Isaac to the Chapter of Canons at St. David’s Cathedral, entitling him to use the title of Canon. The installation ceremony took place on Tuesday 1st March 2016, St. David’s Day. Prior to the installation ceremony the Archbishop of wrote a letter to parishioners about the installation and history of the Cathedral Chapter.